Sweet Static

Yes, another mp3 blog. Trying to share what I like with the world. The music here is for sampling only and are up for a limited time. It's simple really you see. If you like the music then go out and support the artists. Buy a cd/mp3/eight track, make a request on radio, see them live, tell others about it. This way this wonderful medium hopefully won't be stomped on.

Name:
Location: Windsor, Ont, Canada

Sweet Static is an mp3 blog that allows me to share the music I love and also to point out other cool things around the internet that catch my attention. It is also a place where I can talk about my radio show by the same name, now on Thursday nights from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm on CJAM 91.5 FM in Windsor, Ontario. Got something I should hear? Email me at sweetstatic @ gmail.com. All comments left here are emailed to my inbox, so you can get a hold of me that way also. You can also follow the show/me on twitter at sweetstaticcjam.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

More on Pet Sounds tribute/The Old Soul

A couple of things today

-So yesterday I posted that Architecture in Helsinki had recorded a track for a Pet Sounds tribute album. Well today Pitchfork had a full listing for the album in a news story.

Here's a full listing for the album.

01 Oldham Brothers: "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
02 Vic Chesnutt: "You Still Believe in Me"
03 Nobody and the Mystic Chords of Memory with Farmer Dave: "That's Not Me"
04 Centro-Matic: "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"
05 Micah P. Hinson: "I'm Waiting for the Day"
06 Raygun: "Let's Go Away for a While"
07 Dayna Kurtz: "Sloop John B."
08 Daniel Johnston: "God Only Knows"
09 Mazarin: "I Know There's an Answer"
10 Jody Wildgoose: "Here Today"
11 Patrick Wolf: "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"
12 Architecture in Helsinki: "Pet Sounds"
13 The Wedding Present: "Caroline No"

Funny because recently I pulled out my Pet Sounds to give it a listen for the first time in a long time. I've always liked the record and I know many people feel it's a great record. Reminds me though of an article a friend wrote for Exclaim Magazine back in 2000. In it the writer, Michael Barclay, makes his case for Pet Sounds being overrated.

Read the article here.

The funny thing is that it got a lot of disagreements on the message board at the site. Even years after the article I would still see the odd post come up disagreeing with him. Of course this post might bring more back (hopefully not though since it's been six years and not likely since Sweet Static doesn't get much traffic) but I've always enjoyed the article so I thought I'd throw it up.

-So I finally got around to listening to another friend's campus radio show, this one from CHRW in London, Ont. The All-Syrup Super Squishee Show is on Thursdays from 3:30 to 6pm.

Anyways on today's show she had an interview with The Old Soul. The band features Luca formerly of White Star Line, a band that came to Windsor a lot previously. They're playing here tomorrow night at Phog Lounge and I'm checking out the show.

Definitely check out the band's Myspace page for some weirdly good pop music.

More on the show Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web tracker Performancing