Sweet Static

Yes, another mp3 blog. Trying to share what I like with the world. The music here is for sampling only and are up for a limited time. It's simple really you see. If you like the music then go out and support the artists. Buy a cd/mp3/eight track, make a request on radio, see them live, tell others about it. This way this wonderful medium hopefully won't be stomped on.

Name:
Location: Windsor, Ont, Canada

Sweet Static is an mp3 blog that allows me to share the music I love and also to point out other cool things around the internet that catch my attention. It is also a place where I can talk about my radio show by the same name, now on Thursday nights from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm on CJAM 91.5 FM in Windsor, Ontario. Got something I should hear? Email me at sweetstatic @ gmail.com. All comments left here are emailed to my inbox, so you can get a hold of me that way also. You can also follow the show/me on twitter at sweetstaticcjam.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Anti-Hit List For September 23

As the catching up continues here's a recap of John Sakamoto's Anti-Hit List for September 23.

Up for is a band from New York called The Isles. Sakamoto points out how hardly anyone has "...been as shameless about its Smiths/Morrissey obsession than this charmingly derivative outfit is." But it's no complaint. Really good song from their new cd, Perfumed Lands.

The Isles-"Major Arcana"

Next up is The New Lou Reeds. Don't know much about them but I really like this song. Some nice blues-rock stuff going on. Definitely worth checking out.

The New Lou Reeds-"You Don't Have To Die"

Up next is Rickie Lee Jones and a song she's done with two ex-Squirrel Nut Zippers members, Tom Maxwell and Ken Mosher. They've taken the Zippers song, "Put A Lid On It" and changed it to some critical of the Bush White House, titled "Have You Had Enough?" A fun song (although not for those who like Bush)

Rickie Lee Jones w/Tom Maxwell and Ken Mosher-"Have You Had Enough?"

Up next is a local band, The London Apartments, who are starting to have a big reach. A one man project by Windsor's Justin Langlois, that Sakamoto says, "...specializes in music so exquisitely atmospheric, it makes Sigur Ros sound like death-metal." He points out the song, "Summer Takes All My Time" which you can stream on the now mandatory Myspace page.

Lastly is British Columbia's Great Aunt Ida. I had the pleasure of listening to this album a few times as I borrowed from the radio station and loved it. They have three songs up on their homepage but I'll just link to the one on the list and save the other two for later.

Great Aunt Ida-"We Say No"


To check out the rest of this Anti-Hit List you can go here. Others reviewed include The Clash, The Waterboys and Good Shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web tracker Performancing